Motor Truck Cargo Insurance

Motor Truck Cargo Insurance

What does motor truck cargo insurance cover?

Motor Truck Cargo insurance (Cargo) provides insurance on the freight or commodity hauled by a For-hire trucker. It covers your liability for cargo that is lost or damaged due to causes such as fire, collision, or striking of a load.

If you were to accidently dump your cargo on a road or in the water, motor cargo insurance pays to remove the debris or extract pollutants caused by the debris in water.  It also covers any legal expenses.

Typical body types that qualify for motor trucks are: dump truck, tractor, most trailers, box trucks, cement mixers, cargo vans, dually pick-ups, flatbeds and car haulers.

Motor Truck Cargo insurance is not available on garbage trucks, limos, hearses, buses, passenger vans or ice cream trucks.

There are also restrictions on the cargo that motor truck insurance covers, such as:

  • Art, jewelry, money, or paper
  • Contraband, pharmaceuticals, tobacco, alcohol
  • Live animals

Not sure what you need in a motor truck cargo policy, give our Heritage Group associate a call.